Tuesday, March 29, 2011

DJ winds up ‘The Musicbox’ at The Blaze - Torch - Arts & Entertainment


Roosevelt Torch Staff reporter
Published: Monday, March 28, 2011
Updated: Monday, March 28, 2011 15:03


On this Tuesday afternoon, the Chris Brown incident at "Good Morning America" is the topic of discussion, with Mariah Carey and Bruno Mars in rotation on airwaves at WRBC The Blaze, Roosevelt University's student radio station.
This is a sample of what listeners will get if they tune into Samantha Pass's radio show, "The Musicbox." Pass, whose alias on-air name is "S.K.P The Voice," describes her show as a little bit of everything, but not your typical mainstream radio show. Instead, a wide range of music spanning several genres and generations.
The show airs from noon to 2 p.m. every Tuesday on WRBC The Blaze, and can be heard on iTunes or at the WRBC page on Roosevelt's website.
"I don't play what's on the radio right now. I'm a little picky because I don't really like what's out now," the self-proclaimed Michael Jackson fanatic said. "You're going to hear a lot of stuff from the '90s and early 2000s. I even take it back to the '50s."
Pass attributes her love for music and dance as the inspiration for her show and what led her to become involved with The Blaze in the spring of 2009. "I listen to a lot of old school music and that usually amazes my peers, so I thought it'd be great to share it with a younger generation. It feels good to know that I'm introducing them to new music and they like it," she said.
Pass, a graduate student, also serves as music director at the station. "I monitor the other DJs' shows, approve any guests and solve any other problems that may arise."
An education major in undergraduate, Pass is now pursuing a master's in journalism but hopes to apply both degrees in whatever career path she takes. "I don't want to be in the classroom everyday, but if I did, I'd prefer to work in the private sector," she said.
For now, Pass is enjoying her role in the studio. "I admit that I was nervous about doing this because I'm really shy, however I'm really happy I did because I truly enjoy it."

No comments:

Post a Comment